The COO manages all operational activities as a profit and cost centre and ensures the delivery of reliable, quality and timely services to clients at the least cost, in a secure and controlled environment while ensuring maximum profitability and compliance with bank policies and procedures.
Directs, administers, and coordinates the activities of operations in support of policies, goals, culture, core values and objectives established by the country Chief Executive Officer, Regional COO and the Board of Directors. This position has a joint reporting line to the Country CEO and Regional COO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Guides and directs management in the development, production, promotion, of Opportunity International products and services.
- Administers the Management Contract and ensures that all deliverables are met per the agreement.
- Examines current business process and make necessary changes so the best practices and policies are in place.
- Prepares reports on a weekly and monthly basis relating to overall status of the branch operations and whether or not objectives are being met
- Directs the preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on broad organizational goals and growth objectives in consultation with regional COO.
- Creates the structure and processes necessary to manage the organization's current activities and its projected growth.
- Maintains a sound plan of corporate organization, establishing policies to ensure adequate management development and to provide for capable management succession.
- Develops and implements procedures and controls to ensure security and accountability and accurate information flow within the organization.
- Participates in the design of hardware and software systems to assist in the smooth and efficient flow of information.
- Establishes operating policies consistent with the Chief Executive Officer's /Regional COO broad policies and objectives and ensures their execution.
- Evaluates the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and reports these results to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Ensures that the responsibilities, authorities, and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
- Ensures that all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with regulations and laws governing business operations.
Supervisory Responsibilities and Reporting
- Supervises Branch managers, all operations staff and exerts effective team building.
- Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of Branch Operations.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor's degree or ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 7+ years progressively responsible Banking or Savings & Loan and Operations work experience, with a minimum of 5+ years in an executive leadership capacity.
- A strong understanding of regulatory compliance, commercial loan operations, loan processing, quality assurance, and loan servicing.
- Understanding of the concepts, standards and procedures relating to individual and group lending, at they pertain to micro-finance.
- Experience implementing micro-finance products and services in a maturing market, and be able to lead creative service delivery in a sustainable manner, in areas with limited infrastructure.
- Knowledgeable of the principles, practices and legal issues relating to staff supervision and performance management, strategic planning and budget administration.
- A commitment to the development of products for economically disadvantaged clients.
- Demonstrated ability to: understand/analyse performance/production data to identify improvement opportunities; manage complex projects that impact operations effectively and within time and budget; ensure policies, procedures, risk parameters and guidelines of organization are met; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Good understanding of and commitment to the Opportunity International Network structure, mission, core values and motivation as expressed in the ability to incorporate the mission and values in the work area.